gStrader

gStrader
Gary Strader/gStrader Photography

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Welcome To Tryon's Palace


After a late Brunch, I collected my thoughts, and pondered my next move.  I have been to Tryons Palace before, but years ago it was, and I do not remember where my photos were of that visit, and I was quite sure that new shots would be better than the old film shots I had .

For those of you that do not know, Tryon's Palace is a nickname for the residence built by colonial Governor Tryon. The house was in every sense a wonderful mansion, built by monies taken from the poor colonists. The house was so opulent it  was given this nickname, by the colonists of North Carolina who resented having so much of their money taken from them in order to build .

When I arrived at the site of the mansion, I was made aware by the guard on duty, that my paid admission would allow me to photograph the outside gardens, and buildings, but no interrior shots would be allowed. (understood, but not happy with this)... I did however fall in love with the wrought iron gate, and fence that protected the front entrance. The stool that you see is where the guard stood.

The Coat of Arms on the gate, and the main house is that of King George III, and was featured to cement the fact that North Carolina was the Royal Property of the King, and that all the land and people were subject to the rule of the Crown.
The beautiful place that you see today is a restoration of the original that burned to the ground  in 1798.

The building on the right, the Stable Offices is the only original building that has survived the many years since it was built.

The Stable Office.

Since I am unable to show you interior photos perhaps you will enjoy a few random photos of some of the beautiful old homes that were nearby, neighboring the Palace grounds.

The "Widow's Walk" is a catwalk that sits on the roof of many old homes on this coastal town, and served as a lookout for the wives of sea captains to look  for their ship to return to port.



The building on the right of the main house is the kitchen, and it also housed the office of the secretary to Gov William Tryon.

Typical of most homes from the colonial days, the cooking was carried out in a kitchen apart from the living quarters, due to the danger of fire. 
The meals were prepared by servants,(slaves), and carried to the dining room of the main house.






Sitting atop the front of the house the Coat of Arms of King George III.


There are shady paths leading to lovely old gardens behind the Palace. A good place to sit and cool off in the hot humid days of summer.

The house sits on top of a hill overlooking the Trent River.



No comments:

Post a Comment